Monday, September 14, 2026

Hair Metal '26 (Part 1)

Cheap tickets always catch my eye. Especially when they come with a heavy dose of nostalgia...
Guns n Roses, World Tour, Arlington TX
GnR exploded in 1987 with their debut album Appetite For Destruction. Hitting at the back end of the 80s Hair Metal wave, they still looked the part, but definitely pushed things into a grittier, less pop direction. And kinda fittingly, they burned white hot for only a short time before going supernova. (and eventually black hole)
Plenty to revisit. And plenty of good times to be had!
All in, 3 hours and 15 minutes, no encore. (none needed!)
Not surprisingly, Appetite is well represented. 🤘
Mr Brownstone
(still love the scratchy x-notes intro)

Rocket Queen
(a personal favorite)

Of course, all the best from their later works too. (ya know, like 4 years after Appetite, and 1 year before they started to come apart)
You Could Be Mine

REVIEW: I had my doubts for sure. In fact, I passed on seeing them just a few years ago because I didn't like what I saw on Youtube. Axl Rose, like most aging rock singers, struggles to sing the high parts. But unlike most who just power thru it (or Geddy Lee who somehow regained his youthful vocal range), Axl has taken to singing in sort of an Elmo voice! Not all the time, but it's definitely there. The good news though, is it's not all the time. And when blended with the band, who still sound AWESOME, it's all good. A solid show covering all the hits a then some. Glad I went. High dose of nostalgia delivered. 👍
On a related note, it's a good thing I was there because I may have saved a life! Donna's life.

Who's Donna?

When she sat down next to me, gave me half a can of vodka cutwater, and said "We're gonna have a gooood tiiiiime!", she kinda signaled something might be coming. So thankfully I was ready when she danced her way over the edge of the balcony. And since I'd only been nursing that half can of vodka cutwater, I was able to grab her arm and pull her back up before she hit the tipping point. WHEW!

Her boyfriend must've shaken my hand and fist bumped me half a dozen times. Donna... just kept dancing. 😏

No comments:

Post a Comment