Monday, July 20, 2026

Unexpected Surprises

So, we've been tied to the Lewisville school district for 15 years. Along the way, I have actually paid attention to the newsletters and announcements coming from the district, superintendent, principal and others, including LEF, the Lewisville Education Fund. In fact, Naomi received a scholarship from LEF a couple years ago. Thus, when there was a request for volunteers a few months ago, I kept reading. LEF needed volunteers to be scholarship application readers. It was a flexible, virtual opportunity so I signed up! 

I completed the brief training and was then assigned 20 scholarship applications from the other non-TCHS high schools (they don't let you review scholarships if you are associated with a particular campus). The applications are redacted with any identifiable information, and there was a detailed rubric to follow when scoring the application, which included family info, extra-curricular activities, jobs, leadership positions and 2 essays. It was a fascinating exercise and I loved being able to contribute to the awarding of scholarships to local students!! That in itself was rewarding.

And then...I got an email that LEF was hosting an appreciation dinner for all the volunteers! 


Jeff and I enjoyed a lovely evening at the causal, outdoor dinner event at Buffalo Hirsch in downtown Lewisville -- which happened to fall on a rare perfect night that was absolutely beautiful - 80 degrees and nice breeze. 



This is a neat place with outdoor space and food trucks. We each picked our favorite - tofu noodles for me and pizza for Jeff. Delicious.


There was no official program for the evening, it was just meant as an opportunity for LEF to provide dinner and say thank you to the many volunteers. However, there was a game of Heads & Tails (which I tried but lost) and there were door prizes, and surprise: I won! (Uh, because I folded my ticket magically and of course it was drawn from the bucket!) I selected the very practical gift: car wash kit and $100 to Fifth Gear Automotive because it happened to be time for an oil change on my car. Score! 

Kinda cool when things work out like this -- the unexpected opportunities that end up being the most rewarding. Lewisville ISD has been an important part of our family's story for the past 15 years, and experiences like this remind me why I'm grateful to be part of a district that invests so much in its students, teachers, and schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment