Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Backyard Corner

The corner in our backyard has transformed over the years. When we first moved in, we used extra bricks to create a sitting area. Later the fence was expanded to make a bit more room (see here before the fence moved). For my birthday one year, Jeff added more pavers to improve it.  

And then at some point, Jeff called my bluff on my words "I like to be outside" when he mentioned that I don't actually spend as much time outside as I think. I took that to heart and intentionally began using the outdoor space more regularly. I don't remember the exact year when that conversation happened, but I did find a reference during covid which confirmed my memory that my "more" outdoor time started with doing near-daily yoga outside, at least 6 years ago.

And then, this kicked off my latest effort to keep transforming the backyard, as frugal as possible. And this plus this at the Huber House in Rhode Island gave me inspiration to add a little more. My goal along the way has been to spend as little as possible because I wasn't sure how much I would actually use the space beyond what I was already doing.

Here is the current state of my backyard retreat:



From left to right...starting on the windowsill
  • Weights - I've had these for a couple decades, but now use them twice a week for strength training!
  • Bug spray - This can was purchased a couple years ago for a camping trip, but now I use it every morning to keep the mosquitos at bay (I will have to spend money to replenish at some point...)
  • Celebrate each day banner - from church on a "free" table
  • Hanging plant - I've had the stand for years, but I did purchase the plant recently to add color ($10)
  • Chairs and table - Gifted to us from Mimi and Pa many years ago (this has been used over the years, but even more now!)
  • Push broom - We've had this for years in the garage, but it now lives outside for convenient use to keep the bricks clear
  • Fan - 2025 Christmas gift to keep warm mornings a bit cooler
  • Chaise lounge set - Purchased this year using "free Amazon points" received from work, so basically free
  • Plants - I've acquired the pots over the years, but the dwarf pine tree was purchased last September ($10) and the lemon balm was dug up from another area in the yard that Naomi planted years ago (lemon balm is indestructible!) 
  • Yoga mat - Hand-me-down from Natalie when the Gommels moved to Houston back in 2018
  • Tree stump - Salvaged from one of the trees that didn't survive in our backyard
  • Vines - Planted in 2000 when we first moved in - they just keep coming back! 
 
I did use more free points to get a cover for the chair in an effort to extent its life and keep it free from tree debris and rain. 

I intentionally selected an oversized cover to allow extra space to store the fan and yoga mat outside right where I use it. Path of least resistance!



Right now, this little corner is only enjoyable until about 10:00 in the morning. After that, Texas takes over and it becomes far too hot to sit outside. But those relaxing morning moments are priceless.


This corner wasn't transformed and built all at once. It grew over time—one free item, one hand-me-down, and one inexpensive purchase at a time. But perhaps the biggest transformation wasn't the backyard at all. It was me finally becoming the kind of person who actually spends time outside! (Thank you Jeff for the motivation!)

No comments:

Post a Comment