I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I will go see Styx in concert as long as they keep coming. And if they don't, I'll go to them! In this case, a night out for Jenny & I at the Moody Center in Austin.
![]() |
| SO GOOD |
I've lost count how many times I've seen this band. At least 4 or 5, but I think it may actually be more than that. And that's not even counting seeing Tommy Shaw solo and with Damn Yankees. They never disappoint. Not only do they always sound great, they're hits are just perfect for the concert setting. A little bit flamboyant. Guitar heavy. Soaring vocals. Just solid classic rock.
![]() |
| Secret Weapon: Lawrence Gowan on keyboards and vocals. A rare case of the replacement being better than the original (Dennis DeYoung). |
A little bit pop. A little bit prog rock.
Crystal Ball
Blue Collar Man
Rockin The Paradise
(my Styx favorite)
Come Sail Away
While they did seem a little older, and they've added another guitar player for this tour, they do still play and sing great. Still, this is the first time I came away a little concerned that this may be my last time at the Paradise Theatre. (I hope not!)
**************
The second half of The Windy Cities Tour... an obvious choice. And one I've (somehow) never seen before.
![]() |
| Chicago |
Well, what passes for Chicago these days. Considering this band had seven guys back in the day, and ten now, it's kinda disappointing they're down to only one original now: Lee Loughnane on trumpet and red shirt.
Similar to Lionel Richie, Chicago had two distinct eras: 70s classic rock with horns, and 80s pop ballads. I get to jam. Jenny gets to belt out the love songs. Something for everyone!
25 songs? Kinda. They're jammy. And they kinda flow from one song to another. So, an hour and a half or so with 8-10 hits throughout.
You're The Inspiration
Feeling Stronger
25 or 6 to 4
(my Chicago favorite)
As an opener, Chicago earns a thumbs up. And as Jenny pointed out, it's not often we see a band rockin out on trombone, trumpet, sax, flute, whatever. Hooray for band nerds!






No comments:
Post a Comment