People, I have tried to get into soccer over the years. Many times. Many, many times. I like the game well enough, but I always get bogged down by the ridiculousness of the players diving, rolling on the ground like they're dying, followed immediately by getting up and continuing play like nothing happened, and then complaining to the ref. Call the waahmbulance I say.
But then Naomi kinda fixed it for me. She explained that it's part of the drama, like the WWE wrestlers. It's all just part of the "story" of the game. Since then, I just go with it. And good news, I'm actually enjoying the World Cup. So, yay!
But this post isn't about any of that.
The best part of the World Cup for me hasn't been what's happening on the field anyway. It's been the international soccer fans!
I've really been digging all these stories about fans taking over whole cities, their traditions, and their amazement over everyday American things. Who'd have thought videos of fans from England eating hash browns scattered smothered and covered at Waffle House, or Germans amazed at how much ice you can put in your drink at Buc-ee's could be so entertaining?!?!?
A few notable favorites...
APT: After 4-0 win over Tunisia, Japanese fans stay behind to clean stadium
This is a lovely tradition, and one we should all adopt. How can you not love them? The obvious contrast here is that Americans would NEVER do this. But the truth is no other country's fans do either. It's less an ugly American story, and more a "look how remarkable the Japanese are" story. Just great.
WFAA: The Oranje March takes over North Texas
I have no idea what The Netherlands offers to the world. Like, I don't think they produce anything. I don't think they're a military power or played a major role in either of the World Wars. Seems like the main thing they're known for is dominance in speed skating, and their fans showing out at every Olympics. After watching them do their thing up close, I'm an Oranje Fan now too!
FOX4: Japan fans hold massive rally in Dallas before final group stage match
If I have to pick a favorite story, this is it. Plano resident and lifelong soccer fan, Michael Peticolas, goes to the Japan rally, gets caught up in the excitement and ends up on a bus to Mexico with the Japanese fans to take in a game south of the border! Following the match, they party and then bus back, all the while treating Michael like he's one of their own despite the fact that they can only communicate using Google translate and smiles. Now THAT is an experience of a lifetime!
AP: Norway fans perform Viking Row in Times Square
The coolest cheer, hands down! And they do it everywhere. Videos of half the stadium moving in sync are stunning. Videos of them doing it while riding up an escalator are hilarious! Bravo Norway! HOO!
No comments:
Post a Comment